So I was doing one of my overly-flourished envelopes last night, and wondered… how far can I push it? Just how many more flourishes can I add before the postman throws up his/her hands in despair? Will they give up and send it back or will they persevere to mail it? Therefore.. with your help, I propose a little experiment!
99% of my envelopes arrive to their recipients (shocking, I know), but only because I always restrain myself, or else my pen pals would never hear from me. But.. if I could have some volunteers who don’t mind their names and addresses shared on the blog, I could really go crazy, mail it out, wait a few days and see if it actually arrives, and in what condition. I will then post a Before and After picture to see what makes it through and what doesn’t. Wanna help me?
How to join:
- Mail me a letter to:
Schin Loong, 631 N. Stephanie St #510 Henderson, NV 89014
Please include an unused USPS Forever stamp, a note with your name, full address and email address. Mark clearly that this is for the Annoy a Postman project.You can include a letter too!
- I will email you before sending the envelope to give you a heads up. You must respond to this email!
- Within 10 days (usual timeline for a first class usps letter to arrive), please let me know if you have received your envelope.. if so, please scan it in along with any markings, yellow stickers or notes on it and email it to me. That’s the fun part, I want to see its scars! I will check my own postbox too in case it returns to me… and if it does, I will likewise scan it in and post about its failure to complete its mission.
- You must consent to your name and address being published on the envelope (if it arrives). It could be a mailbox, business or PO box address.. as long as it is valid. This means I won’t blur or edit out anything.
- You must keep in contact via email with me and scan the envelope without tampering and email it back to me. Sometimes the postman will scrawl the address on, or stick a sticker on, or something.. I wanna see it all! Then I will post a before and after comparison.
- You must have a scanner.. no camera photos please.
- I prefer US addresses for now. International postage will be too tricky, unless you can figure out a way to send me $1.15 in USPS stamps!
So what do you think? Wanna see if you will receive a Openinkstand-goes-bonkers envelope? Or maybe it will not arrive at all and bounce back to me! No matter what, it will surely at least annoy a postman!